Education & Resources
Employer Guides
International Student Guides
Green Card Guides
Citizenship Guides
Other Guides
Important Links
"C" Nonimmigrant Visas - Transit Visas
"C" Visa types

The "C" visa is intended for those individuals whose travel takes them through the U.S., without intending to actually enter the U.S. The specific visa codes are:

  • C-1 – Alien in transit directly through U.S.
  • C-2 – Alien in transit to UN headquarters district under Section 11.(3), (4), or (5) of the Headquarters Agreement
  • C-3 – Foreign government officials, members of immediate family, attendants, servants, or personal employees, in transit
  • C-4 – Transit without Visa Note: The Transit without Visa program has been suspended until further notice. Click here for more information.
Qualifying for a Transit Visa

To be eligible to obtain a transit visa, you must be able to demonstrate all of the following requirements:

  • Intend to pass in immediate and continuous transit through the United States.
  • Possess a common carrier ticket or other evidence of transportation arrangements to your destination.
  • Have sufficient funds to carry out the purpose of the transit journey.
  • Have permission to enter another country upon departure from the United States of America.
Staying Beyond Your Authorized Stay in the U.S. and Being Out of Status
  • Transit visa holders are not able to apply to USCIS to adjust status or extend their stay in the U.S., under immigration law.
  • It is important that you depart the U.S. on or before the last day you are authorized to be in the U.S. on any given trip, based on the specified end date on your Arrival- Departure Record, Form I-94. Failure to depart the U.S. will cause you to be out-of- status.
  • Staying beyond the period of time authorized by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and being out-of-status in the United States is a violation of U.S. immigration laws, and may cause you to be ineligible for a visa in the future for return travel to the U.S. Select Classes of Aliens Ineligible to Receive Visas to learn more.
  • Staying unlawfully in the United States beyond the date Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials have authorized, even by one day, results in your visa being automatically voided, in accordance with INA 222(g). Under this provision of immigration law, if you overstay on your nonimmigrant authorized stay in the U.S., your visa will be automatically voided. In this situation, you are required to reapply for a new nonimmigrant visa, generally in your country of nationality.
How to Apply for a "C" Visa?

If you have any "C"/Transit Visa questions, or need assistance applying for one, click here >